Employment Legal Counsel - APAC
Remote is solving global remote organizations’ biggest challenge: employing anyone anywhere compliantly. We make it possible for businesses big and small to employ a global team by handling global payroll, benefits, taxes, and compliance. Check out remote.com/how-it-works to learn more or if you’re interested in adding to the mission, scroll down to apply now.
Please take a look at remote.com/handbook to learn more about our culture and what it is like to work here. Not only do we encourage folks from all ethnic groups, genders, sexuality, age and abilities to apply, but we prioritize a sense of belonging. You can check out independent reviews by other candidates on Glassdoor or look up the results of our candidate surveys to see how others feel about working and interviewing here.
All of our positions are fully remote. You do not have to relocate to join us!
What this job can offer you
This is an exciting time to join Remote and make a personal difference in the global HR-tech space as a Legal Counsel - Employment, joining our Legal Team as an Employment Law Counsel. We are looking for a talented and eager employment lawyer, who is interested in helping with our team’s mission, namely: supercharging our business through the provision of excellent legal advice and implementation of solid legal processes.
Remote’s well established Legal team is a bunch of friendly, talented highly motivated lawyers from a whole host of different countries, with some awesome experiences.
As Remote is increasing its global footprint, every expansion into a new country brings myriad legal issues. The Legal Team is responsible for the legal soundness of our business models, contractual agreements with clients, our external employees working with them and data protection compliance amongst other areas.
More specifically, the Employment Legal Team principally supports:
- Our Employee Lifecycle team in their support regarding external employees globally;
- Our People team in managing internal employees globally and ensuring compliance across jurisdictions; and
- Our wider Legal Team in dealing with all types of global employment issues (both advisory and contentious disputes, i.e. litigation and arbitration).
We want to empower team members to Own (one of our five core values) their projects and tasks. They nevertheless have support, leadership and guidance from our Senior Director, Global Employment and Disputes Counsel, Employment Legal Team and wider Legal Team.
- Take ownership of employment legal work for the jurisdiction(s) where you are qualified and prioritise ownership of your regional area/time zone, i.e. APAC region (including Australia and New Zealand).
- Support the Employment Team on jurisdictions globally where needed, including managing or contributing to internal projects
- Help improve our processes, templates and knowledge resources
- Promote a “compliance-focus” approach in everything we do
- Provide solutions rather than only escalating problems
What you bring
- Several years of experience as a qualified employment lawyer in APAC (common law jurisdiction preferred)
- Extensive experience in advisory employment work including the entire employee lifecycle (recruitment, HR policies, benefits, and terminations are the key areas)
- Interested in working for a tech-scaleup and specifically HR-tech
- Keen to understand a whole range of international employment law challenges rather than just focusing on the territory in which you’ve trained.
- Ability to learn and master Remote's communication application (Slack), contract management system (Juro), documentation sources (Notion, Google Drive, etc.), and task management system (KissFlow)
- Writes and speaks fluent English, and knowledge of other languages is an advantage
- You'll report to: Senior Director (based in APAC)
- Team: Legal
- Location: APAC (preference for Singapore, Hong Kong or Australia)
- Start date: As soon as possible
- (async) Profile review by Employment Team Member
- Interview with two Employment Team Members
- Interview with line-manager Senior Director
- Written exercise
- Interview with VP General Counsel and a People Member
Remote Compensation Philosophy
- work from anywhere
- unlimited personal time off (minimum 4 weeks)
- quarterly company-wide day off for self care
- flexible working hours (we are async)
- 16 weeks paid parental leave
- mental health support services
- stock options
- learning budget
- home office budget & IT equipment
- budget for local in-person social events or co-working spaces
How you’ll plan your day (and life)
We work async at Remote which means you can plan your schedule around your life (and not around meetings). Read more at remote.com/async.
You will be empowered to take ownership and be proactive. When in doubt you will default to action instead of waiting. Your life-work balance is important and you will be encouraged to put yourself and your family first, and fit work around your needs.
If that sounds like something you want, apply now!
How to apply
- Please fill out the form below and upload your CV with a PDF format.
- We kindly ask you to submit your application and CV in English, as this is the standardised language we use here at Remote.
- If you don’t have an up to date CV but you are still interested in talking to us, please feel free to add a copy of your LinkedIn profile instead.
We will ask you to voluntarily tell us your pronouns at interview stage, and you will have the option to answer our anonymous demographic questionnaire when you apply below. As an equal employment opportunity employer it’s important to us that our workforce reflects people of all backgrounds, identities, and experiences and this data will help us to stay accountable. We thank you for providing this data, if you chose to.